Monday, December 16, 2013

Sate Chami

To discover the spicy aroma of sate (satay?) at my age is quite late indeed!  I always thought it was just a spicy condiment (and I was not fond of spicy food) but I was wrong.  It has a depth of flavor that enhances so well, and I only regret that I never tried it before!  Hubby, on the other hand, has been enjoying sate for the longest time and has been asking me to try it (and cook with it!)

Interestingly enough, it was when I gave in and make him one of his favorite restaurant dishes (ordered from our favorite Chinese restaurant always) that I finally discovered the wonder of sate barbecue sauce!

Presenting... Sate Chami (Stir Fried Satay Noodles)


The secret to the dish is a bottle sate sauce (image courtesy of Google Images) -


and the recipe is not as difficult as I thought... it's basically like the soupy lomi recipe but without the soup and with a lot of sate barbecue sauce!

500 grams thick egg noodles, parboiled and drained

8 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 piece (100g approx) liempo, sliced into thin strips
100 grams shrimps, shelled (keep the heads)
4 pieces squid balls, sliced thinly
4 pieces fresh shitake mushroom, julienned
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 stalk celery, sliced diagonally
1 to 2 pieces cooked kikiam, sliced
3 to 4 cups reserved chicken stock
Baguio pechay leaves

salt and pepper, to taste
shao xing wine (rice wine)
soy sauce

For the garnish:
1 to 2 stalks leeks, sliced diagonally
wansoy leaves
dash sesame oil

Saute the garlic and onion.  Stir fry liempo, shrimps, carrots, squid balls, mushrooms, celery and kikiam.  Add chicken stock.  When the dish boils, season to taste with salt, pepper, rice wine and soy sauce.  Then put in the noodles.  Add the pechay leaves last.  Cook until almost dry then add half the bottle of sate sauce (yes, half the whole bottle!).  Toss and mix well...

Then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment