Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Halaan (Clam) Soup!

Hubby and I both love seafood...

So whenever I get the chance, I buy fresh seafood (shrimps, crabs, shells, fish, etc.), alive and kicking whenever possible.

Earlier, I was able to buy some live clams - the ones known as nylon shells.  So for tonight, it's clam soup!!!


1 kilo live clams
1 thumb ginger, smashed and sliced
2 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
2 red onions, sliced
about 8 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 chili pepper (the one used in sinigang)
2 to 4 cups of water
a bunch of sili leaves (optional)

Rinse the clams thoroughly and soak in water for about (at least) 1 hour. Drain and rise again.


Saute the ginger, onion, tomato, garlic and chili pepper until fragrant.  Toss in the clams and add 2 cups water immediately.


(I like mine soupy, so I add more water until all the clams are just covered with water).

Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.  Cook until the clam shells are open.  Discard any that remain closed.  Serve while hot.


Hubby says he really likes it - has a "kick" to it (that's because I used the actual chili instead of the "dahon ng sili".  Traditionally, however, the chili leaves are used.  They're added towards the end of cooking.  Also, sometimes I would add some coarsely chopped Baguio pechay, as it adds a bit of "sweetness" to the soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment