Monday, June 24, 2013

Jumping Shrimp (Suahe) with Chili Soy Dip

I love shrimp!

And when I find them still swimming around in a tank, I find the urge to buy them almost impossible to resist.

My usual preparation and cooking style for these live shrimp is to blanch (or boil) them in a pot of water with sliced ginger, onion, sea salt and coriander (wansoy).  When the water (with the various seasonings) boils, I just dump the shrimps in (still struggling and jumping) until they turn red.  Then I strain the shrimp, put them in a serving dish and that's it.  It's perfect with chili soy dip on the side.

Recently, however, my mom told me that she prepared (or cooked) the jumping the same way, with one difference.  She added about a cup of Sprite or 7-Up (not diet or light since it did not exist during her cooking days), saying that it makes the shrimp sweeter.  So this time I decided to try it out.


Truth be told, there was a tinge of "extra" sweetness to the shrimp.  Personally, however, I feel that the "extra" sweetness was not necessary as the fresh (read as: live) shrimp is already sweet enough.  Although, if fresh (but not live) shrimp is used, perhaps this trick with the Sprite or 7-Up would help with the sweetness factor.


Hubby's comment?  He said it was delicious, as always.

But what hubby especially liked was the chili soy dip. 

The one I usually made was good enough (he says) but this one was spectacular (his words).  The secret?  A dash of rice wine!

Now my recipe is this:

2 tablespoons soya oil
dash of sesame oil
1 large thumb of ginger, sliced into thin strips
a dash of rice wine (i used glutinous rice wine)
3 to 4 tablespoons light soy sauce (good quality makes a difference)
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
fresh ground pepper
sili labuyo, sliced thinly (based on personal preference)
wansoy or coriander leaves (about a handful)

Heat the soya oil. Add the sesame oil and ginger. Saute until fragrant.  Add the dash of wine until it sizzles. Add in the soy sauce, sugar, pepper, and chili.  Remove from heat before adding the coriander leaves.  Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment