Monday, August 12, 2013

Pork Adobo, My Way...

There's a million and one ways to cook adobo - it is, after all, the national dish of the Philippines (well, not officially...).  Seriously, I don't know anyone who does not like it, even if everyone has varying preferences - salty, tangy, oily, saucy, mixed, double cooked...  In fact, it was my late father's favorite dish, the other one being Braised Pata (pork hocks).  As a child I could eat loads and loads of adobo with a ton of rice... and ice cold coke!!!  (which was the way my dad enjoyed his adobo!)

But the adobo that I like and cook at home these days is one where a bit of my ancestry shows through - with banana blossoms (which some say are really lily buds but that's another story...)


And, I like my adobo with bay leaves and boiled eggs... in addition to being all pork, specifically belly part (although on occasion I also use kasim or pork shoulder), where I try to find ones that have very little pork fat (otherwise we trim off as much as we can).  As much as I like pork adobo, I'm really not a fan of the chicken variant, don't know why.


My recipe is pretty standard, although I use my magic cooker -

5 to 6 strips of pork liempo (about 750 to 1000 grams), cut into cubes (we trim a lot of fat off...)
1 whole bulb garlic, cloves smashed
2 to 3 large pieces bay leaves, crumbled
1 cup soy sauce (I use light soy sauce)
1/2 cup native vinegar
a handful whole black peppercorns, lightly smashed
1 cup water
a handful of banana blossoms, rehydrated, tough ends cut off
hard boiled eggs (optional)

Clean the pork and place into the inner pot of the magic cooker.  Add garlic, bay, soy sauce and vinegar.  Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Place the pot on the stove, add water and cook (simmer) over low-medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.  Stir only after the mixture has bubbled (initial boil).  Place the inner pot in the magic cooker and let it sit for at least 30 to 40 minutes.

Return the inner pot to the stove.  Add the banana blossoms and boiled eggs.  Lightly stir the mixture.  Let simmer about 10 minutes.  Return to the magic cooker and let sit until meat is tender - another 30 minutes or so.

Adjust the seasonings.  I know some people like a really salty, or a salty-sweet adobo, but personally I like mine adobo tangy and only a bit salty so I've been known to add a little more vinegar (the banana blossoms add to the tanginess, too).

Yummmmyyy!!!  And perfect with ice cold coke (diet or zero).  Where's the rice????


No comments:

Post a Comment