Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sweet, Sour and Salty Fried Eggs

This is a dish from my childhood.  I remember being bewildered at having breakfast food (fried eggs) at lunchtime, with a strange twist (the sauce).  But I remember liking it a lot!  Although I remember that the eggs were folded over, like an omelet.


Anyway, I decided to make it (as far as I could remember it because I couldn't find a recipe) for hubby's breakfast...

It was actually pretty easy...

Mix together 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon of mild vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon honey (or sweetener of choice), 1 tablespoon of water and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.  Set aside.

Fry 2 eggs, sunny side up (fold over, if desired) and transfer to a serving plate when done.  Add the sauce mix to the pan and just heat through (do not cook) then pour over the eggs.  Serve immediately.

Wouldn't you know it?  After making this dish, I found an old cookbook belonging to my mom.  It's as old as I am since it was published in the year that I was born!  The pages were yellowed and quite brittle.  And it was mostly in black and white, with only a handful of colored pictures!!!  The book was in poor condition and would be falling apart if it were not for my mom having it hard-bound!  But I found the recipe for the dish in its yellowed pages!


The best part?  My recipe was actually pretty close to the original!!!

As for hubby's reaction?  I thought he would be surprised, and at least find the dish original but he said he already had a similar dish in Singapore a long time ago!

Oh well, he still liked it!


No comments:

Post a Comment