Saturday, December 27, 2014

Food for the Gods Cookies

I made Date Walnut Rum Truffles and had some dates and walnuts left over.  It was not enough for a batch of Food for the Gods (bars), but it could be good enough for a small batch of cookies. 


I was pressed for time, so I simply adapted the recipe for the famous Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies as the base for my "food for the gods" cookies.  But 5 dozen cookies is really too much for us so I halved the recipe.  To make the cookies Christmas-y, I added half a tablespoon of molasses and half a teaspoon of apple pie spice.  The chips were substituted with chopped dates.  I also pressed a walnut piece on top.  In the end, I felt the dough was a bit wet so I added 2 more tablespoons flour.

The resulting recipe:

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/8 cup sugar
3/8 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon molasses

1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
more walnuts, as topping

Combine dry ingredients together; set aside.

Cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the egg; mix well.  Mix in vanilla and molasses.  Stir in dry ingredients.  Fold in chopped dates and chopped walnuts.  Drop by tablespoons on paper-lined cookie sheets.  Bake at 350F about 10 to 12 minutes.  Makes about 30 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment