Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Light Mushroom and Basil Soup

Hubby and I first tasted this type of mushroom soup a long, long time ago... even before we were married.  Sadly the quaint, hole-in-a-wall cafe is no longer around and I sure miss that soup.



I found some fresh oyster mushrooms recently, and decided to try to recreate the soup.  This is what I used and what I did...

500g oyster mushrooms, cleaned
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thinly
50g butter
5 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/3 to 1/2 cup low fat milk
Fresh basil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 to 3 drops truffle oil, optional

Melt butter; saute onion slices until soft and fragrant.  Toss in the oyster mushrooms and cook until softened (and some mushroom liquid comes out).  Add in chicken stock.  Season lightly with salt.  When the stock simmers, add the milk and fresh basil leaves.  Simmer a couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Turn off flame and add truffle oil, if using.  Serve hot!

Hubby says it's quite good.  I think so too.  Unfortunately, I can't make a comparison to that one a long time ago but hey, if it's good enough for hubby, then it's good.



No comments:

Post a Comment