Monday, November 18, 2013

Lime Curd

Ina Garten is one of my most favorite cookbook authors (and indeed, chefs).  So when I was looking for a recipe for lime curd, I looked in her cookbook, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  I found a recipe for Lime Curd Tart.  And I decided to follow the recipe for the lime curd, but to make only half the recipe because I wanted the lime curd as a filling for a Lime Margarita Chiffon Cake and needed just a cup or so.

Of course the crucial ingredient is the lime, locally known as dayap.  Dayap, according to internet sources, is Citrus Aurantifolia.  Compared to the Persian lime, the dayap (or key lime) is smaller and more tart (more flavorful), and has a thinner rind.  The dayap turns yellow when ripe.  Dayap is a popular ingredient in local cuisine, generally used as a souring agent, much like the calamansi.  Or as a flavor enhancer in sweet concoctions like the leche flan, or pastillas or yema.

It was not easy to find dayap.  While it may have been plentiful when I was a child (and yes, we took it for granted), it is a bit difficult to find them these days.  In fact, I'd been searching at our local wet market (which is one of the BIGGER markets) and came up with nothing, until someone told me to look in the VEGETABLE section (I had been looking in the fruit section...)  And lo and behold!  there were a few limes... and they were quite pricey!

Anyway, I bought some and went about making the lime curd, staying quite faithful to the recipe except for using the zest.

My lime curd...


DELICIOUS!

How I made my lime curd -

Beat 1/4 cup softened salted butter and 3/4 cup sugar together.  Add 2 eggs, one at a time.  Add 1/4 cup lime juice (mixture may look curdled).  Mix well.

Pour the mixture into a thick bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.  (Remember to cook until at least 160F, which is the temp when eggs are safe.)

Here is the book where I found the recipe (picture courtesy of Google images)



The original recipe (for the Lime Curd Tart) can be found online here.


No comments:

Post a Comment