Saturday, June 14, 2014

Spricy Shrimp Rice Topping - for one

Basically I'm home alone... and I do mean it literally.  Not that I'm complaining, I actually relish these moments alone (since they are pretty rare) and the peace and quiet is very, very refreshing!

Of course this means that I have to cook for one.  Truth be told, I'm usually uninspired when it's just me eating.  And ashamed as I am to admit it, I just open a can (just because it is so darn convenient!).

This time, however, I was in the mood for some spicy shrimp.  Spicy because I have a cold and a reduced sense of taste.  Shrimp because they defrost in no time at all and cook really fast.


150 to 200 grams of shrimp, cleaned and shelled*
olive oil
4 thin slices of ginger
6 to 8 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of dried chili flakes, or to taste
sea salt, to taste
half a small lemon, if desired

Marinate the shrimp in some olive oil and a pinch of salt.

Saute ginger and garlic until fragrant.  Add chili flakes and shrimp.  Stir fry to cook shrimp evenly.  Season with salt, to taste.  Squeeze the lemon over the shrimp, if using.  Don't overcook the shrimp or they will be tough.  Serve over hot rice.

*keep the shells to make broth for use in other foods.


No comments:

Post a Comment