Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Leche Flan Cups

The little girl had a project for their English class.  Their group (of 3 students) were tasked to market Filipino sweets by using lots of adjectives (and some props).  The little got got leche flan.  Initially I was just thinking of make a paper model of a leche flan but the little girl wanted to bring real ones.  Hubby suggested to just buy one but then the little girl wanted everyone in class to have one!  Long story short, we just made leche flan in small individual cups!


My standard recipe (from long, long ago) was simple... 10 egg yolks, 1 can condensed milk, 1 large can of evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and the secret ingredient?  drops of real dayap juice!

Problem?  I had no idea what to do with all the egg whites, so in the end, I decided to just use 5 whole eggs!  As for the caramel, an online friend suggested adding maple syrup to the sugar to make the caramel extra special.

So that's what I did...

First, I mixed the whole eggs, milks and flavorings together.  I strained the mixture (there was a bit o whole egg whites) and then poured it into individual cups and steamed them - over low-medium heat for about 12 minutes, that's it.  I let them cool before adding the maple-caramel.

The little girl liked it, so did I and Lola and A-te J.  Hubby, however, did not!  He found it lacking in texture and richness!


No comments:

Post a Comment