Friday, December 18, 2015

Easy Radish Cake

My mom has a complicated recipe for radish cake.  I recently found it in her files.  If memory serves me well and it is the recipe that she cooked in my childhood, then it is a really delicious one.  But like I said, it is complicated!

I found another recipe in her files but I don't know where she got it, considering it is a photocopy of a handwritten recipe; it was just stuck in the pages of a clearbook.  Anyway, it looked way easier so I decided to give it a try.


It wasn't so bad.  But because I purposely did not add salt (only a bit of soy sauce), the general consensus was that it was rather bland.  Still is was not bad.  When pan fried, the inside was soft but the outside was crunchy!

What surprised me was that the little girl actually liked it!

The recipe made 4 small loaves.


On the chopping block...


Here is the recipe

200 grams shredded radish
20 grams dried shrimp, chopped coarsely
80 to 100 grams ham, diced
4 pieces fresh shitake mushrooms, diced
250 grams rice flour
900 ml water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Mix the rice flour with the water; stir until there are no lumps.

Saute the dried shrimp and ham.  Add the shredded radish and stir fry a couple of minutes.  Add the soy sauce.  Add the rice flour-water mix, stir immediately until the mixture is thick.  Season to taste, with salt and pepper.

Spoon into lighltly oiled pans.  Steam on medium heat for about 30 to 40 minutes.  Cool completely before slicing and frying.


No comments:

Post a Comment