Sunday, July 27, 2014

Apple Beignets

I still had a couple of small Fuji apples in the fridge and I wanted a way to use them, without using the oven.  I didn't want to eat them plain either!

So off I went to find a recipe and I found these beignets.  Of course I didn't have pears so I doubled the apples instead.  I also added cinnamon and nutmeg (a "simple" form of apple pie spice).  Then I didn't have a vanilla bean so I used cinnamon sugar instead, although I didn't dip the beignets in the cinnamon sugar, I just placed it on the side as an optional "dip"


They were yummy, but I discovered that little balls of dough were better... they cooked faster too!

How I made them -

Melt 1/2 cup butter (I used salted butter) and 1 cup water; bring to a boil.  Remove from the fire then add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 cup all purpose flour; stir at once to incorporate.  Place the pan back on the stove on low fire and continue stirring, less than a minute or so, until the dough thickens (dough should "come away from the sides of the pan").  Transfer the dough into a mixing bowl and let it cool several minutes.  Add 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition until no trace of the egg can be seen (I used a hand mixer).  Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg.  Fold in apple cubes (small cubes from 2 small Fuji apples).

Using half a tablespoon or a tablespoon measure, drop into super hot oil and deep fry until the the balls puff up and "crack" a little.  Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.  Serve with cinnamon sugar on the side.

To make cinnamon sugar, mix together 1/4 cup fine granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment