Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pomelo Citrus Cooler

I had a few fruits in the fridge that were just waiting...  The biggest one was a pomelo.  Normally I like pomelos and could eat one all by myself but this particular pomelo was dry, and not sweet at all, bordering on bitter in fact.  But I couldn't bear to throw it away (what a waste!) so I had to figure out a way to repurpose it or else I'd have to eat it!!!

The inspiration came by way of a local magazine, which featured their Pomelo Dayap Cooler sometime in 2012.  Of course in their version, they used Davao pomelo, which is presumably sweet and succulent.  In my case, my pomelo was weird, to put it tactfully.

With all other things in the fridge that were half consumed... half an orange, a whole lime, and just about a fourth of a lemon (literally a couple of slices!)...  I thought, heck, why not, the sweet orange might temper the bitterness of the pomelo...

So, here is my version - with pomelo, orange, lemon, and lime, using agave as sweetener.


There was still a bitter edge but overall, it was a delicious drink!  Definitely a better way to use the pomelo!

1 whole pomelo, in segments
1/2 of a large sweet orange, sliced thinly
1 lime, sliced thinly
2 to 3 slices of lemon
1/2 cup agave syrup
about a liter of water
ice cubes (I used up 2 "trays" of ice cubes, about 32 pieces or so)

Place about 1/4 of the pomelo (segments) and orange, lime and lemon slices in a 2-liter pitcher or juice jar.

Meanwhile, place the remaining 3/4 of the pomelo (segments), the ice cubes, agave and water in a blender and whirl away until the ice cubes are crushed.  Adjust the sweetness as preferred.  Pour the mixture in the pitcher and stir.  Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment