Monday, April 13, 2015

Homemade Langkasuy Yogurt Ice Cream

We went on a short getaway to the nearby south and I came back with a really big langka (jackfruit).  I had been skeptical of its sweetness, but a quick taste test and I was sold!


I had really been on the lookout for langka because I wanted to make my own langkasuy (langka and kasuy/jackfruit and cashew) ice cream.  Most of the recipes I found online used preserved langka, for convenience, I suppose.  But I wanted mine with fresh langka!  And I didn't want to cook, which meant no eggs!  Then I did not have an ice cream maker!

This meant that I had to make my own preserve.  Using the instructions for mango jam in the book "Introduction to Food Preservation" by Matilde P. Guzman (1977), I made my langka "jam", reducing the sugar in half (because the langka was really, really sweet already on its own).  The resulting "jam" measured just a little less than a cup.

I based my recipe on this, modifying it to suit my taste -


First I halved the recipe, but still used almost a cup of (homemade) langka preserve.  Instead of egg yolks and soy milk, I used Greek-style yogurt.  Everything (all ingredients very cold) got blitzed in the food processor.  I transferred the mixture to a stainless steel bowl, covered it with plastic cling film and froze it for 1 to 2 hours (depending on the freezer), until the sides were frozen but the middle was still liquid.

I then re-beat the mixture (still in the bowl) with a hand mixer for 30 seconds (it actually looked like soft serve ice cream at that point).  Then it was time for the mix-ins...  fold in 1/4 cup chopped fresh langka and 1/4 cup chopped kasuy.  Transfer to a container, cover well, and freeze until solid.


To serve, let the ice cream stand at room temp for 10 minutes, or in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes, to soften slightly (more scoopable this way).


I love, love, love it!  The texture is very creamy.  It is definitely less sweet than the commercial variety.  In fact, there was a slight tang to it, perhaps due to the yogurt, but the langka flavor was perfect (not subtle but not overpowering) and the cashew bits were plentiful, just the way I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment