Friday, March 14, 2014

No Beef Batchoy

I do love a good noodle soup.  And batchoy definitely qualifies as such!  Problem?  The beef component... not for me but for hubby... and of course it isn't fair that hubby couldn't enjoy batchoy.  Solution?  Make my own beef-free version!


I thought it would be complicated process but as I discovered, it may be a long process, but it was not at all complicated.  Then again, I couldn't exactly call my version authentic in the truest sense of the word, but hey, I've limitations!

Here's how I made my no-beef batchoy...

For the soup base:

700 grams pork - mixed bones and meaty parts
700 grams chicken - mixed bones and breast parts
1 large onion
1 large tomato
slices of ginger
salt

Parboil the pork and meat to remove the scum, then simmer in 2 liters of water until pork is tender.  Add 200 grams of pork liver and simmer further until the liver is cooked.  Strain the broth and set aside.  Shred the pork and chicken.  Slice the liver into strips.

For the noodles and toppings:

500 grams fresh egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions
chicharon, crushed
spring onions, chopped
toasted garlic
fried shallots
shredded pork
shredded chicken
sliced liver

(Keep the soup stock hot on the stove)
Place some noodles in a bowl, top with all the toppings.  Ladle boiling soup stock over and serve immediately.

For those who have no restrictions on beef, make the soup base with 500 grams each beef, pork and chicken.  Shred the beef as well and add as toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment