Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pinatisang Manok at Malunggay

Chicken and Moringa stewed in Fish Sauce

This is another dish that is reminiscent of my childhood.  It's not one that my mom cooked, rather it was our long-time household help.  She was with our family ever since I could remember, all the way up to past my teen years.  In fact, she was with us until shortly after my dad passed away.

Anyway, this dish was one that she would make, until fish sauce was outlawed by my mom.  Her dish was a simple stew, made of cut up (whole) chicken, and maybe a few chunks of potato.  My version is made with skinless, boneless chicken (sliced into chunks) and malunggay (moringa)!



600 to 700 grams boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/8 cup Thai fish sauce
juice of 1 big or 2 small calamansi
fresh ground peppercorns

2-inch piece of ginger, sliced thinly
1 medium white onion, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 cup chicken stock or water
handful of malunggay leaves

Marinate the (rinsed and dried) chicken thighs (cut into chunks) with the fish sauce, calamansi juice and peppercorns for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Saute the ginger, onions and garlic.  Add the chicken (reserve marinade, if there's any left).  Stir fry a couple of minutes then add the tomatoes.  Pour in the chicken stock or water and the reserved marinade.  Simmer until the chicken is cooked and the liquid is reduced.  Check the seasonings and adjust if needed.  Throw in the malunggay, cover and turn off the heat.  Serve immediately.

Needless to say, this is a recipe that is alien to me (fish sauce, remember?) but I'm glad to say that cookbooks are really helpful!  I based my recipe in the "Pinatisan" recipe in this book... 


Sarap!




No comments:

Post a Comment