Saturday, January 25, 2014

Binakol

Or, Tinolang Manok sa Buko...

Hubby and I had a pocket lunch date a couple of weeks ago and we had this soup dish.  I didn't know what it was so I asked our server and his reply?  Tinolang Manok sa Buko.  Instead of water as the soup base, buko (coconut) water was used, with the coconut meat shredded and likewise used in the soup.  So basically it is chicken stewed in lots of coconut water with aromatics and green papaya or sayote (chayote)

I found it so interesting that I decided I wanted to try recreating it at home.


I asked around how to make it... apparently there's many ways to do it.  As for which is the authentic one, who knows?

In my case, I decided to make it "simply" in the same way we make tinola, except substitute the water with buko water.  Then, as I was preparing the ingredients, B's lola said that her sister in law sauteed the aromatics and the chicken to make a tastier dish.   So I did that too...

about 5 to 6 slices of ginger
1 large white onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, smashed
4 to 5 stalks lemongrass(tanglad), cut into strips and smashed
2 small tomatoes, sliced
1 kilo chicken, cleaned and cut into serving pieces
2 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)*
6 cups coconut water
2 cups rice washing water (or just use 8 cups total coconut water)
1 to 2 pieces siling pangsigang (finger chili)
2 pieces green papaya or sayote, cut into serving pieces
1 cup dahon ng sili (chili leaves)
1 cup coconut meat from 1 to 2 coconuts, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the ginger; when browned remove from the pan.  Add the sliced onions and saute over low fire to caramelize.  When the onions are soft (and very fragrant), add the garlic the the smashed lemongrass.  Add the tomatoes last.

Throw in chicken pieces (I like using ribs and wings for a tastier soup) and season with patis.  (A short note here - I don't use patis or fish sauce and I really wouldn't go out and buy a bottle, BUT, someone gifted me with a small bottle of [supposedly] good quality patis from Thailand, so I thought I might as well use it.)

Anyway, when the chicken is browned, add the buko water and rice washing water and the siling pangsigang too.  Cook until simmering, over medium heat.  When the dish has simmered a few minutes, add the papaya or sayote (IF the buko meat is tough, add at this point also).  Bring to a simmer again and cook until the papaya/sayote is cooked through.  Throw in the dahon ng sili and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve in buko shells!

It was utterly delicious!  I love, love, love it!  And it was perfect for a chilly night... the thermometer says it's about 20C... brrrr...  


No comments:

Post a Comment