Thursday, August 7, 2014

Menudo, My Way

Where I'm from, menudo is a tomato-based stew of pork and liver.  Usually it also has tomatoes, carrots, raisins, garbanzos, green peas, pimientos and red hotdogs!  It's definitely not the Mexican menudo, which is with tripe.

My version always skips the peas (which I loathe) and the raisins (which I like on their own but not in cooked food).  I always use liverspread instead of actual liver (because while I like the flavor, I do not like the texture!).  I also like putting in garbanzos and red hotdogs, but since hubby does not like either of those things (and for once, I acquiesced and used real liver), this is how our menudo is -


My recipe...

800 grams pork shoulder, skin trimmed off
200 grams pork liver
2 thin slices of ginger
4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
1 large sweet onion, minced
4 largish tomatoes, sliced
1 to 2 large pimientos, sliced
3 medium sized potatoes (about 500 grams total), diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce (optional)
3 pieces dried bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste

Dice or cube the pork and liver in roughly the same size (I like the pieces in 1-inch cubes).  Marinate in a little soy sauce for about 10 minutes.

 Saute the ginger and flash fry the liver.  Remove from the pan and discard the ginger.

Saute the garlic and onion until soft and fragrant.  Add the tomatoes and pimientos.   Stir fry several minutes then throw in the pork and stir fry a couple of minutes.  Add the tomato sauce, if using, and the potatoes.  Pour enough water or stock to barely cover the meat and potatoes.  Season to taste.  Throw in the bay leaves.  Let simmer until pork is cooked and sauce is slightly thickened and reduced.  Put back the liver and remove from heat once the mixture comes to a soft boil.

Serve on top of steamed rice!


No comments:

Post a Comment