Friday, September 5, 2014

Tomiyao with Garlic

My first taste of this vegetable was in a famous (local) Chinese restaurant.  I found it really tasty - they tasted a bit like bean sprouts but more delicious (my opinion!).  I asked the waiter what kind of vegetable it was.  He said it was a different kind of bean sprouts.  Hmmm.... (felt skeptical and unbelieving since bean sprouts are bean sprouts... might be more logical if they were some kind of sprouts...)

Anyway, I tried to find some at various markets but there was none to be found... until recently!  I found several packs in the supermarket nearby!  And I asked the "promodiser" what they were.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were actually pea sprouts (or pea shoots) because I do not like peas at all.


They're easy to cook too!

200 grams of tomiyao, rinsed and dried
8 to 10 cloves of garlic, smashed
salt, to taste

Saute the garlic in some oil, taking care not to burn the garlic.  Throw in the tomiyao and some salt (season to taste).  Stir fry until just done, to keep the crunch of the shoots.  Serve immediately.

That's it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment