Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fresh Passionfruit Juice

My all-time favorite bubble tea variant is the milk tea.  The next on the list is passionfruit tea slush.  So when I saw fresh passionfruit in the market, I thought of making passionfruit juice!


Truth is, I've never seen passionfruit before, but I've been told that it's common in tropical countries.  In fact, we have a couple of plants in the food garden that (have flowers now so) we're really hoping to harvest some home-grown, organic fruits! 

Anyway, hubby said it smelled (and tasted) a lot like guava!!!


Here's how to make the juice -

Open up 3 pieces of (really ripe) passionfruit and scraped the seeds and juice into a measuring cup.  This batch yielded a little under 3/4 of a cup.  Add 2-1/2 cups of cold water.  Pulse 2 to 4 times (do not blend, just pulse to remove the black seeds, otherwise, the seeds will be pulverized and the juice will be gritty and not very pleasant - trust me, I know what I'm talking about!!!)

Strain the mixture into a juice pitcher and add about another 2-1/2 to 3 cups of cold water.  Add the sweetener of your choice, to your taste.  I added agave to the pitcher, about 1/3 cup or so (but I like mine on the tangy side).  I used manuka honey for the little girl's cup (she loves manuka honey!).

Passion fruit is said to be cooling to the body and very good for the body.  It is rich in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber.  It has lots of Vitamin C and A, as well as potassium.


No comments:

Post a Comment