Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Thai-style Pork-stuffed Omelet ( ไข่เจียวยัดไส้ด้วย หมู)

When I need comfort, I turn to food...

My first choice is almost always soup, but for today, I am settling for my number 2 comfort food - eggs.

And I remembered that a long time ago, hubby and I ate this supremely tasty pork-stuffed omelet in a (literally) hole-in-a-wall eatery.  Don't ask me where though because we were just walking around and we saw a lot of people going into this door.  We were curious so we went in and up some narrow, rickety stairs was this rambunctious crowd lined up (haphazardly) for food - "turo-turo" (literally "point-point") style.  Which was actually a good thing because we didn't speak a word of Thai and it did not seem like they spoke any English!

Obviously all these people could not be wrong (as to the quality of the food) so we lined up as well and pointed to what we felt we wanted to eat... rice, soup, curry (obviously) and this square parcel of scrambled egg (which I chose because I thought it would not be spicy).  Turns out the best of the lot was the omelette!  It was slightly spicy, but it got really spicy because it was garnished with sriracha sauce!

Here is the latest of many attempts to re-create that dish.


This latest try is the one that looks most authentic... I (finally) checked youtube for demo videos on how to wrap the filling into a square.


For the filling, I found the interet abound with recipes (as usual), but I based my filling (roughly) on the recipe which I found in this book


For the filling:

Marinate for 15 to 30 minutes: 

1 cup ground pork (about 150 to 180 grams)
5 pieces large, shelled shrimp, minced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns

Meanwhile, prepare:

3 thin slices ginger, smashed
1 medium onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1 large tomato, diced
1 medium potato, diced
small handful wansoy, minced finely
2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons chili sauce (or sriracha), optional (for me)

3 eggs, beaten with
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce, or to taste

Heat a wok and saute the ginger, onion and garlic.  Add the tomatoes and stir-fry several seconds.  Add the marinated meat and wansoy; cook a couple of minutes then add the diced potatoes.  Season to taste.  Add water or stock, if necessary (the final mixture should be rather dry).  Cook until done; set aside.

Heat about a tablespoon of canola oil in a non-stick, flat frying pan, 11 to 12 inches in diameter.  When hot, pour in the beaten eggs and spread around to form a thin layer.  When the eggs are cooked, place the cooked ground meat filling in the middle and fold into a square parcel.  Flip into a serving plate.  Garnish with wansoy and serve with sriracha or sweet and sour sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment