Friday, August 28, 2015

Crown Roast of Pork

This was the crowning glory of dinner (pun intended!) when college buds T and S stayed for a night.  I was lucky that a small one (9 bones instead of the usual 12 or more) was available.  It was the perfect size for 3.

I used to think that a crown roast was a complicated affair.  It would be if I had to make the "crown" myself.  But these days, it comes "ready-made", and can even be ordered in advance from the meat shop.  All I had to do was rub the spice mix all over and let it chill a couple of hours.  Then it gets baked (roasted) in the oven for a couple of hours and it's ready!


It would have been nice (definitely prettier) if I knew how to make those little "chef hats" to cover the ends of the bones...

The spice mix I used was a special blend that my mom gave me (she got it abroad in one of her travels). 

The biggest problem that I encountered was how to carve the roast.  I tried 3 different kinds of knives!  The meaty parts are easy enough to slice (the meat is quite tender!) but I keep hitting some kind of bone and short of hacking the roast, I kept changing knives.

In the end, friend T provided the solution... which I have dubbed the Sxxxx-Hxxxxx Maneuver... simply put, hubby held a bone, T held another and they both pulled!


Easy-peasy!

Who needs a knife?  (The meat was so tender we could "cut" it with a spoon!)


No comments:

Post a Comment