Friday, May 22, 2015

Oatmeal and Chocolate Pudding

Ok, I'm finally admitting it... the truth is, I've been trying to have a healthier breakfast habit.  I usually have rice, a fried egg and some processed meat but hubby has been nagging me to eat healthier (and join him at the gym, but no!).  For now I'm trying the healthy breakfast... so here's another one... oatmeal-based once again...


The oatmeal layer is a half-cooked 1:1 oatmeal and low fat milk concoction.  Just mix together 1/2 cup each of whole oats and 1/2 cup low fat milk.  Heat gently until the mixture becomes paste-like.  Cool completely before assembling.


I vary the toppings (or layers - Greek-style yogurt and fruit are perfect!) and for this particular one, it's a chocolate pudding.  Okay, not really that healthy considering the heavy cream but baby steps!  baby steps!   (I promise to experiment with a yogurt pudding or something... but my problem with yogurt is that it is too tangy and I end up using quite a bit of sugar, which is not healthy either!)  Besides, this chocolate pudding is so easy (it's no cook and one bowl, to boot) I really couldn't resist!

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp cocoa powder
60 grams bittersweet 62% chocolate
15 grams lightly salted butter (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla in rum

Heat the cream, in the microwave, until nearly boiling (but do not boil).  A glass, micro-safe measuring cup is perfect for this.  Stir in the cocoa powder, chocolate and butter; stir until everything is melted and smooth.  Add the vanilla in rum.  (Cool slightly.)  Pour over the oatmeal layer and chill overnight.  If desired, garnish with chocolate curls.  Enjoy the next morning!

(I'm not a fan of oatmeal, but I like this concoction!)

The three of us ate this for breakfast... the little girl loved the pudding, the oatmeal, however, is another story.



No comments:

Post a Comment