Sunday, May 3, 2015

Oatmeal-Yogurt-Berries Breakfast Parfait

Summer is in full swing and it is hot, hot, hot!  In fact, the weather bureau has announced a weak El Niño that is likely to exist until June or July!  The heat index is nearing 41 and several areas have been declared as drought areas, with farmers suffering as their crops and fields are damaged by the extreme heat and lack of water.

I have not used the oven in a month!  It really is too hot to bake!  The last time I baked, the kitchen felt like a sauna.  We don't even cook long, because even with an exhaust system, it is JUST TOO HOT.

So, how to cool off?  Well, I have been making tons of ice cream... so far, at least once a week!  And I'm learning to appreciate the so-called ice-box cakes (like this tiramisu), with my next project being a mango refirgerator cake (if I can find sweet mangoes, that is).

Anyway, because of the heat, I served hubby a cool breakfast...


Of course I made it with my homemade Greek-style yogurt... (I discovered another use for my coffee filter/maker!  Definitely takes up less space in the fridge.)


And the wonderful thing about this parfait?  No cooking at all!  And it's super chilled!

1/2 cup instant whole oats, raw
1/3 cup milk
1/2 to 1 tablespoon chia seeds

3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt

150 to 200 grams frozen berries (or any combination fruit as preferred)

mascarpone cheese, optional

Mix together the oats, milk and chia seeds.  Let stand in the fridge for about 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and goopy.

Using a parfait glass, or in my case, a short and wide-mouthed tumbler/drinking glass, spoon a layer of oatmeal at the bottom, top with yogurt then frozen or fresh berries.  Repeat the layering.  Chill overnight, or do as I did (because I made it early in the morning, about an hour before hubby returned from the gym), stick it in the freezer!  Just before serving, dollop a tablespoon of mascarpone on top.  (Hubby opted out of this.)


Enjoy!!!!

(If you notice there is no sweetener added to this recipe.  Hubby prefers it that way; he says that he likes his breakfast parfait on the tangy side.  Sweeten according to your preference.)


No comments:

Post a Comment