Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pineapple-Mango Tartlets

This was the dessert I made for our Chinese New Year dinner a couple of weeks ago.


I originally intended to make my own crust but as I ran out of time, I made do with a ready-made crust.  The filling, however, is homemade, as I made it ahead a day before.


The fresh pineapples that I bought from the market was a bit on the sour side, the pineapples not being fully ripe yet.  I seriously did not want a ton of sugar in the filling, so I used some over-ripe mangoes that lola N's brother gave us (they have several trees and this year's harvest was more than they could handle!!!)


150 grams ripe mangoes (about 3/4 cup mashed flesh)
250 grams pineapple chunks (about 1-1/3 to 1-1/2 cups chunks)
about 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
large pinch of mixed spice
1 teaspoon calamansi juice

Put everything in a thick saucepan and cook (over low to medium heat) until thickened.  (while the filling was cooking I felt it was still a bit sour so I added about half a tablespoon honey to take the sour edge off).  The recipe makes about 2 cups "jam" or filling.


Yum!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment